2.23.2012

Politics

So, I've never done a political post on here before.  But this is driving me up the freaking wall.

First you have Rick Santorum going around wanting to make birth control illegal.  Add that to his recent statments regarding abortions (they also should be illegal), no more pre-natal care and state and federal government shouldn't be contributing to the funding of public schools.  Are you fucking kidding me?  He basically wants woment barefoot and popping out babies, while homeschooling or paying to send their children to private schools.  If I were raped tomorrow and got pregnant, I'd have an abortion.  I want my future child(ren) to be with my future husband, not some idiot on the streets.  I'm on birth control currently for medical reasons, in addition to preventing pregnancy. Women, especially over 35-40, who get pregnant are at a higher risk for having problems with their pregnancies and having children with birth defects.  Pre-natal tests can tell those ahead of time and save the mother and baby.  A lot of times birth defects can be fixed before the baby is even born, and he wants to take away that care for women?  How is that even possible.  And I went to public schools, and I think I turned out fine. 

Now move to the VA state government.  Our wonderful republican run government is trying to pass two bills.  First the personhood bill (which actually just passed the state senate this morning).  It states that a fetus is a human at the time of conception, and if it is aborted for any reason, it is murder or manslaughter, and you will be charged with a crime.  Really?  Does this mean that if I conceive on December 29th of any given year, I get to claim that "human" on my taxes as a dependent?  Didn't think so.

Bill number two states that women have to have ultrasounds before having an abortion, and must wait 24 hours after that to actually have the abortion.  This is a revised bill that has passed the house of delegates (yesterday).  The original bill stated that the ultrasound had to be transvaginal, and it was MANDATORY.  My mom had one of those ultrasounds before her hysterectomy about 10 years ago, and she had to sign a consent form, because it can tear tissue and can be harmful.  But our considerate, republican MEN in the VA state government can force me to do that?  And with the 24 hour wait--Women who have miscarriages sometimes need to basically have an abortion because their bodies don't clean themselves out fully.  So if I got pregnant, had a miscarriage in 2 months, and my body didn't clean itself fully, I'd have to wait 24 hours to have a doctor do it.  Do they not realize that having the waste (which is mainly blood at that point) isn't healthy to the bodies of women?  It can be fatal!! 

Yes, I am socially liberal.  But this is more than politics, this is about basic women rights.  If it were up to the republican men in this country, women would be stay at home moms, popping out babies and probably couldn't vote.  This wouldn't even be a topic if it men could conceive and have babies.  I love babies, but no man is going to tell me what I can or cannot do with my body, especially if my health or my baby's health, is at stake.

No comments:

Post a Comment